Grilled eggplant dip is a delicious and healthy appetizer that is perfect for any occasion. Made with smoky grilled eggplant with grilled garlic, lemon, and oregano. If you want more flavor, you can drizzle the finished dip with olive oil.
FOR 8-10 PERSONS
- One whole garlic.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Eggplant (around 250g each) 2 pcs.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 tbsp.
- Fresh oregano leaves 1 tsp.
- Flake salt 11/2 tsp.
- Freshly crushed black pepper 1/2 tsp.
- Pita bread or naan bread.
- Preheat the grill to direct and indirect high heat around (225-275o).
- Take out the outermost, dry leaves from the garlic and cut on the top so that cloves can be visible. Put the garlic (bottom down) on a large aluminum foil paper, and burnish over the cloves with 1 tsp olive oil. Fold aluminum foil paper around the garlic and make it a small and tight packet, also make a small hole in it so that the stream can come out.
- Clean your griller’s grates with the brush. Grill the garlic packet over the indirect high heat with the lid closed for approx. 40-50 minutes, until the garlic cloves become tender enough. Take out the garlic packet from the grill, and let it be cold enough to be touchable.
- While the garlic is grilled, prick (make small holes) the eggplants using a fork. Grill them over direct high heat with keeping the lid closed, until the outer skin is burnt and the eggplants are squeezed. Roll over them a few times. If a knife or fork can enter inside easily, then you are done. Then take out eggplants from the grill and let them be lukewarm. Turn down the grill temperature to medium-high heat (175-225o).
- Press the garlic cloves take from the shells and put them into a food processor/hand mixer. Cut the luke-warmed eggplants into a long shape, and remove the skin and any large seeds. Put eggplants inside the food processor/hand mixer and run it until you get a thick cream. Add lemon juice, and oregano, and blend again until the mixture becomes smooth. Add salt and crushed black pepper for testing.
- Cut the pita bread into pieces and brush them with oil lightly and grill over direct heat for two minutes.
- Serve the delicious dip with the grilled bread.