FOR 4 PERSON
4 whole chicken legs (300-350g). The upper and lower parts of the leg should be cut off. Any excess skin and fat should be removed.
- Extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp.
- Finely chopped onion 1 dl.
- Finely chopped garlic 2 tsp.
- Ketchup 2½ dl.
- Lemon or lime soft drink (not sugar-free) ½ dl.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice ½ dl.
- Cane sugar ½ dl.
- Coarse mustard 2 tbsp.
Ingredients for sauce
Ingredients for scrubbing
- Smoked paprika 2 tsp.
- Fined salt 2 tsp.
- Finely grated skin of an organic lemon.
- Freshly crushed black pepper ½ tsp.
- Garlic powder ½ tsp.
- Heat the oil in a pan at medium-high. Add onion and garlic and fry for approx 10 minutes until those get a golden color. Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and keep cooking. You should keep moving aside all ingredients. Turn down to lower heat and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the gets a little thickness.
- Preheat the grill to direct and indirect medium heat (175-225°)
- Mix all ingredients for scrubbing in a small bowl. Rub thoroughly the mixer all over the chicken.
- Brush the grill grates clean. Grill the chicken pieces, first keep the skin side down over the direct medium heat, and keep the lid closed as much as possible for 8-10 until the pieces get a golden brown color. Keep turning to another side frequently. Move the chicken pieces to indirect medium heat. Keep grilling for approx 20 minutes with the lid closed. Brush to make a thin layer of the sauce over the chicken and grill for another 15 minutes with the lid closed until the meat becomes juicy and the pink color is no longer visible through the bone. Turn around the chicken pieces frequently and sometimes brush them with sauce. Take out the chicken pieces from the grill and keep them rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken warm with the rest of the sauce.